Hi there stampers! For today’s card I created a gorgeous rose background using die cuts from the Stampin Up Rose Garden Thinlits Dies. I did another card using the Bloomin’ Heart Thinlit to create a beautiful background so decided to see what other dies I could use for the same technique. To see the previous card using the Bloomin’ Heart die, you can read the blog post here.
To create the rose die covered background, I first cut out seven roses using the smaller rose die from thick whisper white cardstock. The precision base plate for the big shot really helps get clean die cuts when using intricate dies like these roses. After cutting out all the roses, I needed to create the background piece where I’d add my color for the flowers.
I took a piece of watercolor paper cut to 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 and wet down the entire piece of paper lightly with water. I applied blushing bride and melon mambo inks with a paint brush. I first applied the blushing bride ink lightly in circle patterns where I though my roses would be laid out and then dropped in the melon mambo and allowed the colors to blend. After applying my first wash of color, I intensified the color in areas by applying more ink. I let this air dry to allow the colors to blend and dry on their own and soaked up any excessive water with a paper towel.
After the watercolor piece dried completely, I begin to lay all my rose die cuts out across the entire background trying to cover as much of it with the die cuts without overlapping too much. After I got my arrangement of the roses the way I wanted it, I used some press n’ seal to pick up the rose layout all in one piece and applied some glue to the back of each rose. I then applied the roses back onto the watercolor paper using the press n’ seal to keep my arrangement in tack and let the roses adhere to the paper before removing the press n’ seal. I applied more glue where some of the rose die cuts were not adhered.
I then stamped the sentiment from a retired stamp set onto a piece of vellum with Versamark ink and heat set that with gold emboss powder. I then cut the vellum into strip and adhered to the middle of the card front by wrapping the vellum around the back and taping down with some scotch tape in order to not have any adhesive showing through the vellum on the front of the card. I applied a few sequins to the front and adhered the entire piece to an A2 card base of thick whisper white cardstock.
I just love how this card turned out. Check out what dies you have in your collection that will work for this technique. I think you could use butterflies, sentiments, and all kinds of dies to give you this look. Thanks for stopping by!
I have been stamping and crafting for about 13 years now. I love to see the smile on someone's face when they receive a handmade gift. Stampin' Up! has the best products and I love being a demonstrator for a truly great company!
The content in this blog is the sole responsibility of Christy Velasquez as an Independent Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of classes, services or products offered is not endorsed by Stampin’ Up!